Chittoor, Aug. 21: Fourteen people were hospitalized in Andhra Pradesh following an ammonia gas leak from a dairy unit at Bandapalli in Putalapattu Mandal on Thursday afternoon.
Dr Narayan Bharat Gupta, Chittoor District Collector said that, “We got the information that Ammonia gas was leaked at Hatson company milk process unit near Putalapattu at around 5 PM. 14 Workers who were working in that shift have been shifted to a hospital. 3 people are critical and are likely to be shifted to SVIMS or Ruia hospital in Tirupati.”
Minister Peddireddy Ramachandra Reddy spoke with Collector of the Chittoor District and ordered an inquiry into the incident. He instructed the officials to provide best treatment for the affected.
The latest incident comes three months after a deadly gas leak near the port city of Visakhapatnam, at a plant operated by a unit of South Korea’s LG Chem Ltd, killed 12 and led to the hospitalization of hundreds.